Keeping track of your stored stuff
Storage facilities are an excellent option for a number of reasons. Keeping your home free from clutter, keeping your items safe in between moving houses, and safeguarding your stock or important documents while running your own business are just a few! But to make the most of storage units, you’ll need to have some way of organizing them. Here are a few of the most effective ways to keep track of your stored stuff.
Effective ways to keep track of your stored stuff
- Labels on boxes, bins, etc: grab a marker and list the contents on the box, easy peasy. Or write down the contents on a piece of paper and tap it to the bin or container.
- Arrangement: Put boxes with similar contents in the same area. Organize by category, like season, toys, clothes, sports, mementos, family member or room. Store your most- accessed possessions by the door for quick, easy pick-up/drop off.
- Self-storage apps: Search for these on your phone. Different apps come with different features; choose one that will work best for you!
- Visuals: take pictures of the contents of each container before storing. Draw the layout of the arranged boxes in your lockers so you can quickly pinpoint where to access a desired item.
- Spreadsheets: these provide a way to store and categorize a lot of information about the items you’re storing, including what it looks like, the categories it belongs to, which locker it’s in, what bin it’s been packed into, serial numbers, relevant dates, how many, their value and much, much more.
Keeping track of your stored stuff does take some effort but the results are well worth it. You’ll be thanking yourself that you did it, every time you need to look for something.
Questions, or need a quote? We’d love to help! Contact us at one of five convenient locations.